Sunday, June 21, 2009

Team Jasper

Okay...so it's official...I'm a Twilight fan!

I really hate horror films & because I thought Twilight was within that genre, I chose to ignore the phenomena that it was. However, no matter where you turn these days--it's everywhere! Posters, flair, MySpace, Facebook, magazines, folders, on and on...

So, when it showed up in my 5th grade classroom in March, I sighed & asked my 10 year old student if she: "Thought that book was appropriate for reading in school?" She assured me it was & that her mom said she could read it (no hesitation on her part). So I allowed the book in my room & the 8 more that followed--of course, what's good for the goose is good for the gander :0)!!

In April, our neighbor (who is my mother's age) loaned us Twilight over Spring Break. I about lost it...I really was like "COME ON! What is with this vampire stuff?!" I also proceeded to make a Top 5 Things I Hate that Everyone Else Seems to Love--#5 was an Edward Cullen & Bella Swan image with the title Vampires.

I caved though...I admit & watched Twilight to really understand "what the fuss was all about." After watching the movie I was like okay, but I still don't get all the hype. I came back to my 5th graders after Spring Break & told them, with a great big grin, and a semi-squeal, that "I had watched Twilight!!" The girls (who had brought in the 9 copies of books) were all inquisitive about if I enjoyed it and if I thought Edward was cute...blah, blah, blah. I told them I was proud of myself for watching a vampire movie--they know I hate horror--and was pleasantly surprised that there was so little blood & guts. They laughed and said, "I told you so."

At the end of the year, these same girls told me to read the books. Citing back to me that "the movies are never as good as the books, Miss King." So I agreed to "MAYBE" read them this summer. I thought that was a good answer.

The straw that broke the camel's back was my 14 year old cousin spending the summer with us. She brought her Twilight movie & books 1-3 (Twilight, New Moon, & Eclipse). She encouraged me to read them, especially after she and I watched the MTV Movie Awards. I was like this movie was REALLY popular--I think it won like 6 awards. And...she was SOOOOOO EXCITED about the movie preview for New Moon. So I caved, I bought the first 2 books at Barnes & Noble. OMGsh...I loved them so much that I went to Wal-Mart 3 days later to buy the last 2 because I just had to know if Bella became a vampire...DUH! Even the Barnes & Noble sales girl was like..."You should just buy all 4 of them now. You'll so be back here in a few days to get the others...you'll see." She was right...everyone was right...

Lesson learned: Don't judge a book by it's cover.

You may be wondering why this particular blog is called Team Jasper. Well, I took the Facebook quiz and learned that I am attracted to the Jasper character & most compatible with him. So, GO TEAM JASPER--forget the Team Jacob & Team Edward crap (even though, Edward is pretty hot :0)!!!). I am taking quizes, talking about, & adding flair like all the other crazy fans. I am now loaning out my copies to Clare, so she can have discussions with her deployed husband about Twilight (he's read books 1-3 and is currently on Breaking Dawn)!! Ha, Ha--It's official I am a HUGE Twilight fan & recruiting! Who'd of thunk it, LOL!

1 comment:

Clare said...

I would have stood my ground and never read them BUT there was no way I could just let it go after Joel read them! I wouldn't say I am a "rabid fan" but I do want to finish them. I just love to read!