Friday, September 4, 2009

"So, I see you're wearing flip flops...hmmmph!"

Okay, so let me start by saying I am the queen of making comments that come back to "bite me in the rear" as it were :0). Quiet I am not.

Blunt, check. Silly, check. Scarcastic, check. I know that no one is above reproach (including me), but I err on the side of if I don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all -- as mom taught me. So that being said let me tell you about the "substitute" Who Must Not be Named, that we had filling in for one of my 5th grade teammates today.

Upon my arrival at school (at 7:45ish--yes that is earlier than normal, but usually I arrive 8:00ish) I was greeted by a frazzled Nicole--a different 5th grade teammate, who rolled her eyes as she said, "I'm going to the library to print Kathy's sub plans for Mrs. _____ --she's been here & she's waiting for them."

Nicole isn't usually so flustered or pushy, so my response was "Oh, okay. I was just about to do that for Kathy, she asked me yesterday." Nicole and the sub leave & head for the printer. The sub is not heard/seen by me until 2:30pm at recess. Well, Nicole got the brunt of her behavior earlier that morning. This sub, proceeded to make remarks on her "casual attire" & the fact that she was, "wearing flip flops--hmmmph, like that's professional" she commented.

What?! Excuse me? The things people say, I swear! What gives this SUB the freedom to make such an inappropriate comment to my teammate, Nicole? Like it's her business. I know God prevents me from face-to-face situations like this, because my commment back would have sounded something like, "And you're a SUB because you can't get a real teaching job, no one would hire you anywhere, right?" I KNOW, sarcastic...check.

This type of behavior really gets under my skin -- mind your own business! And for crying out loud, if you have UNECESSARILY RUDE comments to make, please keep them to yourself. But of course, Nicole and I just vent to one another & she lets it roll off her back--being the bigger person it would seem. Wish I could say the same for one of my 5th grade boys...

So karma, gets us all right? I know that's an eastern religion phrase, but the idea of karma is also in the Bible ~Galations 6:7-10~. So tell me if this isn't just divine, one of my students in math was told by this same sub to "Go dance in the road with traffic at recess, not in my class!" What? Then, because she's obviously picking on him, he throws an eraser at her & it hits her face. LOL!!!!! I don't in any way advocate violence, but this is TOOOOO much. Really?! Did she just pick on a student & then he turn around, with all the guts in the world & defend himself, against an adult's attack?! YAY for him!

A referal to the principal was necessary for this boy, but I have a tough time hiding my smile. Good for HIM~stand up against rude people AKA bullies (young or old).

1 comment:

Clare said...

Yeah, sounds like she is just jealous that she can't get a full time position. It is sad that she is such a little person that she has to make herself feel better by picking on children! Hopefully she won't be asked back anytime soon!