Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Single on Valentine's Day


You know, this could be a sad post about being single on Valentine's Day, but it's not. I must confess that I do feel the tingles of the green "jealousy" monster on this holiday, mostly because it's EVERYWHERE! This year, maybe because it fell on a Sunday (?) it wasn't like that. I enjoyed a rather "comfy" day at home despite my nose bleeds & congestion UGH...I hate the arrival, disappearance, arrival, disappearance, (okay you get it) of Spring in Colorado.

I had lunch with a friend on Monday and decided to post, not because of the conversation (it was good to just talk & catch up), but because I'm truly just aiming for contentment with my life as it is RIGHT NOW. I just hear everyone so bogged down with laundry, cleaning house, having babies, not having a wedding ring (ooh, that's personal hee hee), etc. When I was 12, I wanted to be 13 so I officially entered my "teens." When I was 15, I wanted to be 16 so I could start driving. When I was 17 I wanted to be 18 - legal adulthood was just soooo exciting, well that & graduating High School to start college. At 20, couldn't wait to be 21 & drink (not that I do so much of that now).

ARE WE SEEING A PATTERN?? In every moment I wasn't there, I was anticipating the "next BIG thing!"

It's amazing how I teach things that are applicable to myself--an amazing God-thing! I was just telling my 5th graders, lecturing really, about how I didn't think it was responsible/appropriate for them to be texting during school hours. Yes, our district's middle school had 6th graders sexting--already, I MEAN, WHAT?!! One part of my lecture I got so stinking upset over their disregard for cell phone rules that I said, "I didn't sign up to teach 6th - 12th grade. My teaching degree is K-5, ELEMENTARY school. So start acting like kids, be kids, because you're not in MIDDLE school yet & that's not what I signed up for!"Actually, it's sort of a gigantic GOD-sized kick in the shorts..."Ummm, hey there teach! How about you DO what you SAY, not merely speak words."

Nice! So I'm finding all the good things about being single. Learning/exploring what I can do for myself, cooking the things I like, spending my money on Coach purses that yes, quite frankly cost too much but hey, I only have to explain it to me :0), going on lunch dates with friends and not having to worry about a sick spouse or kiddo, having the ability to start a new career after 5 years and not have to fret about how my family will be affected, traveling...and these are just the few I've come up with so far.

It's nice to count your blessings...not to say that this list wouldn't be just as filled if my life were on the wife/mommy track - this is just a reminder to myself that I need to be grateful for the place I'm at RIGHT NOW.

2 comments:

Clare said...

You are such a role model for me in contentment and encouraging. I love to be around you because you always build me up. I need to try harder to do the same for you. I am so glad that you let me be your friend!;0)

Keck said...

Hi Kristan! I really enjoy your posts. They always have some really funny point. Like in this one the 6th graders who think they are so big. I am in 8th grade and I don't do that stuff! But hew whatever. I am glad to see that you are happy with you!
Kelly R.