Saturday, October 16, 2010

A $498 Fiasco

Since, I am 3/4 of the way done with my final (5th) snowman cross stitch, I decided to begin preparing for a second quilt - by the same designer, look at her website: www.piecesfrommyheart.net. This one will be equally cute, but I'm not showing pics of the quilt until it's finished. It's my Type A (Shawn hates that). Here are some pics of my fabric choices though:





What do you think?


So, now for the $498 question! As the sales woman was checking me out at JoAnne's on Friday, she was efficient & orderly - I had 28 different 6 in. pieces of fabric, so I understood her need for accuracy. She finally gave me the total...$498.

I was like, "I'm sorry, how much?"

"$498."

I began to fumble and blush, afraid that I'd have to pay $500 - because I had just spent 30 mins. at the cut table & another 15 mins. in line to pay. "Ummm, don't you think that's waaaay too much?" I replied starting to tear up - how embarrasing I thought, I'm going to have to leave because I can't afford my purchases!!!! Mentally, I began mocking myself: "Don't you know how to add--You're a TEACHER for cryin' out loud!" I think I even said to the cashier, "Well I am just a teacher, I can't afford $500 for fabric!"

Well, needless to say the cashier found the error - not either her or my fault. At the cut table the associate forgot a decimal point. So fabric that was $4.98 per yard, became $498. After my coupons & the 3 way split of costs with my Mom and Sis...the quilts will cost about $20. Not bad...way better than $500 that's for sure!!!

1 comment:

Clare said...

That made me laugh! At least she fixed it, right? I would have cried, too. Glad it worked out in the end. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!