Saturday, September 3, 2011

Hurt People, Hurt People

This week I've experienced more than ever: Hurt people, hurt people.

I am trying to keep that in mind when I stand, open-mouthed, shocked, stunned, amazed at the things people say (or feel that they can say). Whether true or not, there are boundaries you should adhere to in your speech and quite frankly, there is a certain tact that you should aim for as well.

I am far from perfect in this area - BELIEVE me! But, what I hold fast to are simple truths (taught by my mother and God) and I feel might need a revival, so here goes:



  1. If you don't have anything nice to say - don't say ANYTHING at all! BEFORE saying something out-and-out rude, just ponder "Should I go there?"

  2. Kill 'em with kindness - for those of us reeling with anger over how we've been spoken to or treated.

  3. This one hangs in my house: "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver." Proverbs 25:11 - maybe using this as a guide. I think this: complements make someone bloom, criticism makes someone wilt (you can see it happening, I swear & quite frankly, HOW SAD!).

So lesson to me - rise above the nonsense and do/be better! Don't let hurt people get a dig in, rather pray for them. Hard to do, but I do feel sympathy for them - truly. I love my family! My blessings in this area are OVERWHELMING...that is just for my family, not to mention my job and other areas.


I'm actively choosing to be a "the cup is half-full" person - because really, when I stop and take account, my cup runneth over!!!!

2 comments:

Clare said...

I agree. I have been guilty of lashing out when someone has been unkind- I have to be very intentional to remember that I must return good for evil, otherwise I am just like the world. Good for you for choosing to do the right thing. I always love your positive happy attitude. Keep it up!

Greg and Jen said...

I am far from perfect in that area too. Thankfully, God gives grace to let me start over every day. ;) Trust me, we've had our fair share of hurts lately. :/

~ Jen

P.S. Been meaning to tell you.... I'm starting a quilt!! =)