Monday, November 10, 2014

Heard of It?

Ever heard of Donors Choose?

I have a few colleagues & "teacher friends" who have written grants using this wonderful organization.

It took me a bit of time to get up the nerve, I mean I'm not really good about asking for money or begging friends/parents to purchase supplies for my room.  But, I saw how effective some grants were & the teachers were so excited to get their boxes of new items - putting those new tools to use immediately.

I was jealous!  For real.

So, I thought long & hard about what I wanted that was reasonable.  A game or activity that I could get a lot of use out of - I perused "the teacher haven" Lakeshore.  Seriously - this store is teacher-crack!  No JOKE - they have everything, pretty much in a box.  Pre-made, already laminated, & kid-proof.  I can't leave Lakeshore without spending $100 - CAN'T.  IMPOSSIBLE.

Found a game & alphabet tubs that I think should be apart of EVERY Kindergarten classroom & set about writing my grant.  I was checking that thing daily over Fall Break, hoping for something.  Nothing.

Until tonight.  It wasn't 1/2 or anything, but you know what...I'm excited for ANY amount!  Really, teachers spend so much money & in years past I wouldn't have hesitated to spend $300 on a few tubs & games.

Of course these things will be put to good use & I encourage you to check out various projects on the site.  Maybe mine isn't for you & that's okay.  Consider a donation to someone's classroom.  Heck, if you can't give money - give your time!

Our district just failed to pass a Bond.  So, despite your political feelings about education, budgets, taxes, expenditures, boards of education, transparency, administration, etc. - my school, the largest elementary in the district, has to deal with overcrowding {SIGNIFICANT OVERCROWDING} & teachers need help.  Teaching 24+ Kinders in a room with 1 adult is asking a lot - testing 9 Kinders 1-on-1 every 12 days is asking a lot, completing 24+ assessments 1-on-1 for letter id., letter sounds, rhyming, blending, segmenting...yeah, it's A LOT!

So, if you can't give a $ donation - which I understand, consider donating an hour or 2 once a month.  Teachers always need help copying & working with small groups of children.  I COVET these helpers.

What a great way to stay connected with your child & donate - whatever you can.  Trust me, every little bit helps & is appreciated,

P.S. My project is here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love your blog! Thanks for sharing!