Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sewing a Halloween Treat


My mom is a GREAT seamstress! She is great at making everything look so finished and store bought-looking.

I have dabbled in sewing. I've made pillows, pjs, curtains, but nothing like a quilt. My mom convinced me in October 2009 to try a simple wall hanging we found at a quilt shop off Filmore & Academy (just behind the Denny's). I bought the kit for $8 and collected fabric in oranges & blacks just like the instructions said. I saved the quilt for a "rainy day" and it disappeared in the basement - "Out of sight, out of mind" truly applies to me!!

This summer my Aunt Dee Dee convinced my mom to try quilting - my mom is turning my old room into a twin bed guest room for when her little friends & grandkids spend the night. My Aunt had "just the quilts" for her!

In June, my mom had had enough of me not sewing. She got out my Pumpkin wall hanging quilt & told me to get started. So we did! It has been fun, our dual machines cranking out rows of designs. My mom's quilts are much more intricate & WAAAAAAY better, but mine are cute!

We had almost enough fabric to make 3, so mom bought a few more fat quarters in black and orange. Now it's one for each of us: Me, Shawn, & Mom. Isn't it darling?!?!?! This one posted is Shawn's...each one is a little different - mine has a green stem.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah! I love my HAPPY! It will look great in my house for Halloween Time! I am so excited! I can't believe Mom is going to hang something so Halloweenish in her house! We must be rubbing off or maybe it is the Grandkids!

Clare said...

That is so adorable. I love your fabric choices. Maybe someday I will be able to make something fun like that-keeping my fingers crossed.:)

Greg and Jen said...

Cute!!!! I still have the pj pants you made me awhile back too. =)

~ Jen

Shawnasherrill said...

So cute! I love Halloween, my favorite time of the year!