Sunday, February 20, 2011

Best & Worst

So in a Teaching with Love & Logic training this Saturday I had to write about my best & worst teachers.

My best was Mrs. Becker in 3rd Grade. She was older, probably close to retiring but she'd sing at her piano for transitions at least once day & we all had fun classroom jobs. I loved being in her class and especially loved the fun projects we'd do for holidays. Also I remember she was really good about reading aloud (I remember Jumanji & The Elves and the Shoemaker) to us and having parent speakers each month. I have so many memories: Secret Santa gift exchange, being Hawaii and voting for Roger Rabbit in our mock-Presidential election, and joining choir performing: Peter Rabbit & singing for soldiers before they deployed to Kuwait.

Worst...was 1st Grade. Maybe this is why I feel so compelled to be a good, relational 1st Grade teacher?!?! I remember not speaking in her class for days - and for those of you who know me I'm sure you're like "Yeah, right!" Really though, I remember her making me recite things in front of the class that she knew I couldn't do...I just felt so stupid so I started to play mute. I hated her class & I was almost retained because of my lack of cooperation in her presence! What's worse...well, my mom told me a few weeks ago that she's pretty sure this lady got Teacher of the Year in our former school district. I guess sometimes it's just a personality conflict, right?

So how goes it with you? What are your bests & worsts when it comes to school teachers & memories?

1 comment:

Greg and Jen said...

Worst: had a teacher who cussed at us and dumped our desks out if we couldn't find something fast enough to her liking. :(

Best: had a teacher who played favorites with me and Brian. Said she "loved us special." We always stayed great friends with her - even after high school. :)

~ Jen